Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2011

A Danish Apple Crumble, Made By a Swede in America...

I have made this recipe hundreds of times and never gotten a bad result. (although the edges DID get a bit burnt, because the American gas stoves are different than my previous Swedish electric one. Still awesomely good!)

It's an old Danish recipe, and meant to be baked in a cast iron skillet, but I just use Pyrex glass pans. I first tried it when I worked as a nanny in Sweden, after high school and fell in love with the simplicity of the recipe, and the hard, yet chewy crust. 

I use a cold Swedish vanilla sauce but creamy vanilla ice cream works really well too. After baking it, let it sit for a while before serving, to make the crumble chewy and yummy. You can microwave left overs, but I like to keep them in the pan and heat it back up in the oven for more chewy goodness.

Cut the apples into wedges and arrage in your pan. I normally use a 9" x 13" pan but only had three apples to work with, so I used a smaller one this time. Generously sprinkle cinnamon on top of the apples.


Crumble the 'dough' on top, making sure it's all covered nicely. The towel underneath is hand-woven by my late grandmother.


Serve with cold vanilla sauce (this one's out of a box from Sweden) or vanilla ice cream. Enjoy!


Skaidrite's Apple Crumble

Heat oven to 425F

1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
2 sticks + 1 tbs butter or margarine
1 3/4 cup flour

5-6 sour apples, peeled, cored and cut into wedges.

Mix sugar and butter until well blended, with hand mixer. Add flour and blend until dough forms small lumps. Let it chill while preparing your apples. Arrange apples in an ungreased 9" x 13" pan. Sprinkle cinnamon on top of apples. Crumble the dough over apples, covering the entire surface. Bake for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown. Let it sit for about 10-15 minutes before serving.

1 comment: